Kokanee Glacier Ski Trip – Jan 23rd – Jan 29th 2016
Day 1 – Flying in and Smugglers Ridge.
Thanks Geoff for organizing the trip this year! We had great snow and many days when we could see enough to really get familiar with the area around Kokanee Glacier and make us want to go again.
This year for our comfort, we also brought in a fitted sheet for the matresses and a lighter sleeping bag. This was great for a good comfortable sleep.
On this trip we had – Sharon, Lee, Linda, Stu, Glade, Jen, Geoff, Chris, Graham, Gareth, Meg, Sasha, Doug and Jesse. Our cook was Moe of Moes Mountain Cuisine. Kevin Giles was the Custodian again this year along with Copper.
- Trip preparation page (link may change each year)
- British Columbia’s Ministry of Environment official web-page for Kokanee Glacier Provincial Park Kootenay Rockies webpage on Kokanee Glacier Provincial Park with summer routes and activities primarily described.
- Alpine Club of Canada’s webpage on the Kokanee Glacier chalet.
- Snow forecast for Whitewater and SpotWX click in area near Kokanee Glacier near Nelson
- Our previous trips in 2008 and 2015
- 1:250 scale map of Kokanee area
- 1:50 scale map of Kokanee area - east map; west map
- 1:20 scale TRIM data map (best for navigation imo)
- For navigation I use PDF Maps on my phone and you can download my KML file here for reference.
Day one we did a short tour to Smugglers bowl, dug a pit and were confident in our results as it showed no surprises. So we did a couple of runs and headed back to the hut.
Jeff flew us in again.
The Key Hole from the Helicopter
Snowing lightly as we arrived.
The old Slocan Chief Cabin, its now a museum.
We dug a pit, had good results then shredded pow! Jesse.
Jesse set off a size 2 on the steeper section of Field of Dreams off the Pyramid. Not surprising given the storm snow and MF stellars layer at 20cm. I skied down after him.
Google Earth Image of our route.