Day 5 – Sunny Smugglers and Happy Valley – Bonanza Bowl
Today the weather was again overcast and warming. Since the best snow was in the trees and above 1900m we opted to check out Sunny Smugglers and Bonanza bowl in Happy Valley. Sunny Smugglers was good, bit heavy, so we toured into Bonanza bowl figuring the slightly more eastern facing slopes would be better and they were!
- Trip preparation page (link may change each year)
- British Columbia’s Ministry of Environment official web-page for Kokanee Glacier Provincial Park Kootenay Rockies webpage on Kokanee Glacier Provincial Park with summer routes and activities primarily described.
- Alpine Club of Canada’s webpage on the Kokanee Glacier chalet.
- Snow forcast for Whitewater and SpotWX click on the area at Kokanee Glacier
- Our previous trips in 2007, 2008 and 2015
- 1:250 scale map of Kokanee area
- 1:50 scale map of Kokanee area - east map; west map
- 1:20 scale TRIM data map (best for navigation imo)
- For navigation I use PDF Maps on my phone and you can download my KML file here for reference
Radio Ridge – Potential! We came down on the far lookers right, you can also enter via far lookers left, or find your route through the cliffs!
East facing laps of Bonanza Bowl, nice 200m shots.
Pow on Radio Ridge
Lee not getting enough speed on Radio Ridge
Run on Sunny Smugglers
Refuel with a Mo Bar
First run on Bonanza on a more treed slope
Before venturing to the more open slopes. You can see another group on Sunny Smugglers!
Dinner after skiing – Photo by Jesse Puddicomb
Google Earth Image