Day 7 – Smugglers Bowl and Helen Deane
Friday we had fresh snow and broken skies. Not clear enough to head into the alpine, that and with the refresh we probably wouldn’t have gone there anyway. We opted to ski below treeline on Smugglers Ridge, did one skin up to 2300m on the Apron, found it quite wind affected, then finished the day skiing down the Helen Deane lake to shred some pow!
- Trip preparation page (link may change each year)
- British Columbia’s Ministry of Environment official web-page for Kokanee Glacier Provincial Park Kootenay Rockies webpage on Kokanee Glacier Provincial Park with summer routes and activities primarily described.
- Alpine Club of Canada’s webpage on the Kokanee Glacier chalet.
- Snow forecast for Whitewater and SpotWX click on the area at Kokanee Glacier
- Our previous trips in 2007, 2008 and 2015
- 1:250 scale map of Kokanee area
- 1:50 scale map of Kokanee area – east map; west map
- 1:20 scale TRIM data map (best for navigation imo)
- For navigation I use PDF Maps on my phone and you can download my KML file here for reference
Skiing towards Smugglers Bowl
Looking back towards Smugglers Bowl from the Slocan Chief Cabin
Helen Deane Pow
Lee, Linda and Stu got back to the cabin after dark. Taking advantage of the last day!
Group Shot! Lee, Stu, Geoff, Jesse, Chris, Doug, Linda, Mo, Glade, Jen, Graham, Meg, Sharon, Gareth
Sharon and Jen in the Heli
Key Hole – Lee’s Favorite run